Monday, October 17, 2011
With pink ribbons adorning everything from Tic Tac packages to NFL players this month, most everyone surely knows that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. So I thought it would be timely for today's Monday Color post to cover this awareness-raising, attention-grabbing pink hue. The issue surely hits home for me: my own mother courageously beat a case of breast cancer when I was a young girl. It is also estimated that 1 in 8 American woman will develop breast cancer in their lifetime, so this is hardly an issue to be ignored. But on a positive note, in 2010 there were more than 2.5 million breast cancer survivors, so it looks like the awareness, research, and abundant pink ribbons drawing attention to the cause is helping many of those affected to stay alive.
In interiors, pink is usually associated with little girls rooms and South Beach. But just as the color has made its way onto the uniforms of the burliest football players, I thought it was time to take a second look at pink's modern personality through the surprisingly pleasing and not-the-least tacky interiors and products below.
1. The rustic furnishings in this dining room balance out the sophisticated but feminine pink wall covering.
2. This splash of pink on this sideboard is bold but doesn't overwhelm in an otherwise neutral setting.
3. & 4. Two images from a Barcelona home featured on Home Design Decor Plan.
5. The pink lower cabinets reinforce the sweet country style of this kitchen found on Home Interior Gallery.
6. Another kitchen with pink as more of a secondary accent color.....a little easier to live with in my opinion.
7. This Upper East Side living room features assorted jewel tones across the color wheel, including pinks that range from pale pink in the rug to a bright raspberry on throw pillows.
8. Saturated pink statement walls in a bedroom featured in Domino Magazine via Decor Pad.
9. Designed by Maxwell Macdonald and Andrew Corrie, the living room in this Shelter Island house uses denim blue and soft pink to create a laid-back feeling perfect for beach living.
10. Silk/cotton Ikat PIllow Cover from Fabricadabra.
11. Greenwich Side Table from Oomph in Eros Pink.
12. 24" x 36" Indian Bride Print from water color fashion illustrator Cate Parr.
13. Pink Motion switch plate from www.switchhits.com
14. Round Metal Chair in Pink from Burke Decor.
15. Pink Deer Skull and Antlers from Halles House Etsy Shop.
16. Edie Velvet Chaise in Fuchsia from Urban Outfitters.