Monday, January 30, 2012
My son recently asked me what my least favorite colors are and I quickly answered red and pink. I've warmed up to red in my design work over time, but pink still haunts the tomboy in me. I have one shirt dotted with tiny pink flowers but I always wear it with jeans and boyish cardigans to offset the frilly femininity. But I came across the first bedroom below on House Beautiful's website and saw a sophisticated, soothing side of pale pink that I'd never acknowledged before, thanks to its pairing with a deep brown, crisp lines and touches of subtle glamour. So I delved deeper to find other examples of a how hues of blush pink and chocolate brown work together, outside of a box of Valentine's chocolates, that is.
1. The subtle accents of blush pink and chocolate brown that inspired this post, as seen in the second photo in a round-up of pink rooms on House Beautiful.
2. #35 on a list of 56 beautiful living rooms, also on House Beautiful, the sweet pale pink walls are balanced by hearty chocolate leather chairs and textural sisal in this space.
3. Apple green punches up a pink and brown palette in this sitting area (found on Confetti Style).
4. Found on Odi Et Amo, the wood tones in this living room provide the grounding dark browns for a rainbow of pink hues to dance against.
5. A sweet yet sophisticated pink and brown girls room, found on VT Interiors.
6. A glamorous vignette of pink art on espresso walls.
7. Another bedroom with a contemporary chocolate brown upholstered headboard and plenty of white to balance out the powder pink walls (via a blog called Mama Mona).
8. I love the chocolate brown walls and subtle touches of pink in the chandelier and chair backs in this dining room, found on The Lennoxx .
9. The Gladstone Cast Iron Single Ended Bath comes in a soothing pale pink, from the UK's Victorian Plumbing.
10. The perfect towels to pair with the tub above for a nature-inspired blush and chocolate bathroom color scheme (Cherry Blossom Towel Set from Amazon).
11. A hand block print pillow in brown and blush hues from EarthLab's Etsy Shop.
12. The Don't Be Square Rug from Rugs Direct would be a mod touch in any girls room.
13. Saturday Knight Ltd's Owl Shower Curtain marries light pink and chocolate brown with several other fun hues, perfect for a modern kids bathroom.
14. Carter's adorable Pink Elephant Crib Set from Baby Super Mall.
15. Graham & Brown's Hand-Painted Orchid Canvas Art from All Modern.