Monday, January 24, 2011
Monday Color: Burnt Orange
When I was school-aged or reporting to a corporate office in my early 20's, Mondays were dismal and long. Now they are one of my favorite days, launching all the possibilities of a fresh new week, on the energizing tails of some weekend downtime.
I want to start honoring my love of Mondays with a weekly inspirational post focused on color. Anyway who knows me won't be surprised that the first color I've selected to feature is burnt orange. This has long been my favorite hue for its dramatic presence in sunrises and sunsets, and because it's the color I see when laying under the summer sun on a beach, eyes clenched shut beneath the powerful rays. I imagine that I'm not seeing the backs of my eyelids but rather the color of my true self.
1. a winter sunset in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
2. 'Wings' the piece I just bought from my new favorite photographer Alicia Bock
3. orange dahlias, a vase of which bring me unbounded joy
Sensual and warm, burnt orange is a beautiful accent hue in just about any room and pairs especially well with its cool toned color wheel opposites: the blue family. Here's a few inspirational interiors and a few burnt orange decor finds:
1. image from Metropolitan Home, via elledecor.com
2. a loung area in a modern Atlantic Beach home I completed in 2007
3. image from decorpad.com
4. image from hgtv.com
5. Atlas Collection bedding by Calvin Klein, available through Neiman Marcus.
6. Madeline Weinrib's Brooke rug in orange
7. simple, modern orange pendant by Bruck, available at Lighting Direct.