Monday, July 18, 2011
Monday Color: Eggplant
Since the inception of my career as an interior designer a decade ago, I have always pledged to bring out my clients' personal style, rather than stamp my own aesthetic on home after home. If you've ever seen my portfolio, you'd immediately notice the uniqueness of each project. Part of the challenge in this mission is that I don't always like my clients' choices in color, style, vision.....but in order to make it all work beautifully, in every project, without compromise, I have to not just like them but embrace them wholly. That's part of the reason I started my Monday Color posts, to explore and pay tribute to the bounty of colors that can be applied in home interiors, especially the ones I don't love. The range of purple hues fell into this category, until my first purple-related post when I searched high and low for uses of the color that inspired me and left me reluctantly smitten. (It also may have something to do with the fact that my son's first favorite color was purple, almost as if to shove it in my face with a "like it or else" forcefulness.)
So here I am posting about another purple tone that marries red, brown and purple together in a regal but earthy hue of eggplant. And I may not have reached for this color when designing my own home, but now I must admit that I kinda like it. I'm realizing that with each blog post, I become a better designer, and with each client, I become a better blogger.
1. I love the eggplant walls with gold accents in this living room found on Cococozy.com, but can't take my eyes off those amazing wide plank floors.
2. Another eggplant-filled living room, with unexpected accents of coral, found on The Design File.
3. Vibrant purple walls contrast with white traditional furnishings in this traditional dining room.
4. This purple bedroom features graphic wallpaper and cooling grays, that create a dramatic yet restful retreat.
5. A neutral living room with chocolate brown and eggplant accents, designed by Windsor Smith, found on Travel for Design.
6. The Cyan Design Purple Chandelier features a generous 36" diameter and regally-hued Murano style glass.
7. Comfort Wash Cotton Duvet Cover from the Company Store comes in a rich merlot hue, with a soft, lived-in feel.
8. Romo's geometric Estella Wallcovering in Elderberry.
9. Hand screen-printed Botanical Print Pillow from Sprouted Designs in a deep eggplant purple cotton with eco-friendly cream ink.
10. The plush faux fur texture of this throw from Z Gallerie makes it as regal as it's deep purple color demands.
11. Here's a literal use of eggplant in home decor: an actual eggplant printed onto an upcycled dictionary page by CollageOrama.
12. The Otto Rug in grape, by Madeline Weinrib.