Monday, October 10, 2011
Monday Color: Chocolate Brown
Was it the box of chocolates that arrived as October's gift-of-the-month from my generous older brother, whose annual Christmas gift ensures that some yummy treat, box of citrus, or pretty plant is left on my doorstep once a month? Or the fact that it's Columbus Day, a "holiday" on which no particular color comes to mind, only thoughts of the soil our ancestors robbed from the native inhabitants centuries ago. (Perhaps I shouldn't get into this.) Or maybe it's the onset of Autumn and its cornucopia of warm colors from the brown of the earth farmed for the last time of the year, the reds beginning to tinge the ends of leaves, and the golds of the changing light.
Whatever the reason.....today I hopped onto my laptop and decided to scour the internet for the richest, warmest, dark brown interiors and home goods I could find. I hope you find them as delicious as I do.
1. I love the way the sheer white curtains, white carpet and massive white moldings keep this bedroom, found on www.creamylife.com from looking the least bit dark.
2. There's no question that the deep brown walls in this bedroom take backstage to the bold colors and patterns on just about every other surface (from Mix and Chic).
3. The chocolate brown accent wall makes the white furniture pop in this bedroom I designed.
4. Deep browns are the natural shade of many leathers and wood tones, as seen in the rich furnishings of shoe designer William Frawley's Soho apartment, featured on elledecor.com
5. A unique embossed brown wallpaper found on the Eclectic Revisited blog.
6. The interior of Omonia Bakery in New York was designed to look like the inside of a pastry.
7. An old Porsche 912 is one of the few automobiles that actually looks good in dark brown.
8. Venturing into more traditional styles, recycled materials and quality textiles, West Elm's Essex Sofa is stocked in a warm brown leather.
9. The Safari Rug adds a wild side to any room with its giraffe-inspired pattern of chocolate brown with cream accents
10. Robert Abbey Dark Brown Ceramic and Silver Table Lamp from Lamps Plus.
11. Dwell's Chocolate Dots Crib Set has always been one of my favorite gender-neutral baby bedding choices.
12. 100% bamboo makes this Chocolate Towel Set from www.bambeco.com both eco-friendly and design savvy.
13. The warm brown in sepia toned photographs and a nostalgic vintage typewriter are an unexpected combination on a white pillow (from Z Gallerie).